Automatic Knives Policy
In the knife world, one is bound to hear something about automatic opening knives (aka auto-open, switchblades or even switch knives), but here's what the American Knife and Tool Institute (AKTI.org) generally tells us about automatic opening knife laws in your state for non-law enforcement citizens. Make sure you're checking your state knife laws for details on possession, carry, manufacturer and sale, as restrictions may apply in your state or locality.
THESE STATES DO NOT PROHIBIT AUTOMATIC OPENING KNIVES
(States We WILL SHIP Autos To):
California (Maximum 2″ blade length limitation)
Colorado (Concealed carry maximum length 3-1/2″)
Connecticut (Maximum 1-1/2″ blade length limitation)
Kentucky (must be 21 years of age)
Maryland (legal to own and open carry but they are illegal to conceal carry)
Massachusetts (maximum 1-1/2″ blade length limitation)
Michigan (out-the-front, double-edged automatics still prohibited)
North Dakota (maximum 5″ blade length limitation)
Vermont (maximum 3″ blade length limitation)
Washington (manufacture allowed, carry limited to law enforcement and emergency personnel)
THESE STATES/AREAS PROHIBIT AUTOMATIC KNIVES
(States/Cities We CANNOT SHIP Autos To):
District of Columbia
Los Angeles, CA
New York (hunting/fishing exemptions but we choose not to ship to because they are illegal in all other instances)
San Francisco, CA
We also cannot ship automatic knives outside the US or to any US territories.
IN COMPLIANCE WITH FEDERAL STATUTES, ATLANTIC KNIFE REQUESTS THAT YOU READ CAREFULLY THE REQUIREMENTS SET FORTH BELOW AND AGREE TO THIS PRIOR TO YOUR PURCHASE OR RECEIPT OF ANY AUTOMATIC OPENING KNIFE FROM OUR COMPANY.
Federal law prohibits shipment of automatic knives across state lines, with the following exceptions:
- To civilian or Armed Forces supply or procurement officers and employees of the Federal Government ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of the Federal Government.
- Active Armed Forces member or employee acting in the performance of his or her duty.
- To supply or procurement officers of the National Guard, the Air National Guard, or militia of a State, Territory, or the District of Columbia ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in the connection with the activities of such organization.
- To supply or procurement officers or employees of the municipal government of the District of Columbia or the government of a State or Territory, or any county, city or other political subdivision of a State or Territory.
- To manufacturers of such knives or bona fide dealers therein in connection with any shipment made pursuant of an order from any person designated in paragraphs 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Atlantic Knife /dba C K KRIN L.L.C. will not sell automatic opening knives to any customer unless such sale or receipt of Product Service return is made in compliance with one or more of the above conditions.